Thursday, January 14, 2010

Which do you want first - the good news or the bad news?

I'll give the bad news first, just to get it over with. I didn't get into "Fiddler on the Roof". :( I'm not sure why I didn't, to be completely honest...my audition went very well and I was only nervous at the very beginning. And some people who weren't as good got in. Who knows. Theater groups do tend to have lots of politics, and that probably had something to do with it. But now that I think about it a bit more, I'm actually rather glad now that I'm not in it - I probably would have gone absolutely crazy with being so busy, not to mention I get easily exhausted and when I'm exhausted, I easily get sick! It will also be nice to still have my4 nights at home every week!


So, now for the good news - Evangeline and I went to our very first professional ballet last night, "Coppelia" by the Moscow Festival Ballet! The picture above is one I found of them on the internet...I think I recognize some of the dancers (I believe the one in the yellow costume danced Swanhilde at the performance we saw), and the costumes are basically the same. The costumes were so pretty! The dancing, of course, was marvelous, and Swanhilde looks like it would be an amazingly fun role to dance! It was also fun to see them dancing and at certain parts think, "Oh, yes, I can do that!" :)

Sometimes I think, though, that I actually prefer watching performances to performing in them. I never can decide. Last night was really neat...we had bought the cheapest tickets, so we were way up in the second to the last row of the balcony. I actually like sitting in the balcony much better than sitting in the house - you have a far better few, and at our theater the balcony is much more raked so you don't have to worry about tall people sitting in front of you and blocking your view! So we were sitting there, talking excitedly, and then came the magical moment when the lights dimmed and silence swept over the crowd. The spotlight came on (it was directly behind our heads), and we could see dust motes dancing in it. It was like something out of a movie.

******************************************************************************
The Pro-Life Rally at church is this Sunday! It's always quite nice, but I'm rather nervous for it this year because I was asked to read my essay! It won first place at the regional level, but I haven't heard yet how it's doing at the diocesan level. Reading into a microphone isn't anything terribly new to me (I was a reader sometimes when we went to the Novus Ordo Mass, and I started when I was about 7), but it still makes me nervous! And this is probably going to be the biggest crowd I've spoken in front of. But, like my dad reminds me, I need to remember that the important thing is the message, not the messenger...to just read and remember why I'm doing it. :)

*******************************************************************************
Oh, and for those of you who have read "Waking Rose", listen to "Defender" by Cruxshadow, which I just added to my playlist...the lyrics fit perfectly, it is incredible! Listen to "Sophia", too...I absolutely love the lyrics of the refrain!

No comments: